“I Was Raped By A Policeman, I Want Justice!”- Woman Shares HORRIFIC Tale Of How A Policeman Raped Her


A 23-year-old girl identified as Pamela has shared a horrific tale of how a policeman enforcing COVID-19 rules arrested her, took her to a hotel then raped her till dawn.

According to reports, on July 28, Pamela was travelling on a public bus on her way to Port Harcourt, the capital of south-central Rivers State, about 45km west of Bori. Upon reaching a checkpoint in the town of Sakpenwa, 25km outside Bori, at 6:30 pm, Pamela says four police officers arrested her for not wearing a face mask.

Then, she says, they drove her to a guest house where one of the officers raped her “till dawn” after “threatening to kill” her if she did not cooperate.

“I’ve not been myself and have fainted twice since the rape incident,” said Pamela, whose husband died more than two years ago leaving her alone with their toddler and newborn baby. “Because of my deteriorating health, I had to move in here to live with my mother so I can be cared for.”

The 23-year-old has not left the room in weeks, her family says since she was allegedly raped by a police officer enforcing the government’s coronavirus guidelines.

“She’s terribly traumatised,” Pamela’s older cousin, Fred*, who has been helping take care of the family since the alleged assault, told Al Jazeera. “It has been difficult for her to get a good sleep since the incident.”

The police have revealed that her alleged attacker had been arrested and is still “in custody”.

But Pamela’s family is not convinced that the police are doing enough to get justice for her, saying the investigation has been slow and officials have not been as helpful as they should be.

Immediately after she was assaulted, Pamela says she went to the police to report the rape. The police promised to give her the medical form she needed to complete as part of the report, but did not do so until five days later, her cousin Fred added.

Pamela says she also only visited a clinic a couple of days after the incident occurred, as she did not know that was part of the procedure. She says no one at the police station explained what a rape kit was or that it was something she needed to do.

According to Pamela’s family, when the medical form finally arrived, the police continued to complicate matters.

“The police demanded that [Pamela] submitted a medical report [that shows proof that she was raped] before the case can continue,” explained Fred. “I offered to take the report to them after explaining that she was too sick to get to the police station but they insisted she must submit the report in person.”

When Pamela eventually managed to submit the medical report to the police during the third week of August, she said the police told her she had not needed to submit it in person.

“That’s not the case,” Rivers State Police Command’s public relations officer Nnamdi Omoni told Al Jazeera when asked whether the police insisted that Pamela personally submit her medical report.

“The [rape] matter is still under investigation,” he added in response to further questions.

In her pursuit of justice, Pamela said that she is also relying on evidence from the driver of the commercial bus she was in, who confirmed that police had arrested her, and from operators of the guest house, who also confirmed that she was taken there by police officers on the day she was raped.

Pamela is not the only woman in Nigeria to say she has been assaulted by those supposedly enforcing coronavirus prevention measures.

In the town of Nkpor in Nigeria’s southeastern Anambra State, men wearing the yellow vests of a government COVID-19 compliance and enforcement team – a civilian task force mandated to work during the pandemic – were allegedly seen raping a girl they had arrested for not wearing a face mask.

The assault allegedly occurred inside a vehicle the task force used for work, but witnesses said the bus was not inscribed with government insignia. It is unclear whether the alleged perpetrators were actually part of the task force or just posing as members of it.

As angry people surrounded the bus, the alleged perpetrators reportedly absconded from the scene, leaving the vehicle behind. The spokesperson for Anambra State Police Command told the Daily Post, a Nigerian newspaper, that a bus was found abandoned and taken to the police station, while an investigation continues. The police are yet to give an update on the case and no arrests have been made.

Since May, when the Rivers State government, imposed measures to control the spread of the coronavirus, including lockdowns in parts of the state and compulsory wearing of face masks in public places, other reports of police harassment and victimisation have emerged.

A pregnant woman in Port Harcourt miscarried on her way to the hospital to see a doctor after policemen detained her for being out during lockdown.

“There is even another pregnant woman who was arrested and detained by policemen for stepping out to buy food,” journalist Kofi Bartels told Al Jazeera.

Nurses have allegedly been harassed by policemen who threatened to arrest them for being out during lockdown even though they were working at a local pharmacy, while a pharmacist says he was arrested by policemen who forced him to pay 20,000 naira (about $52) for his release, despite authorisation from the Federal Ministry of Health for pharmacies to operate during the lockdown.

It is not clear how many rapists have been convicted in recent years, but the Nigeria National Bureau of Statistics disclosed that the country’s police reported no convictions for rape in 2017, despite recording 2,279 cases of rape and indecent assault.

Law enforcement officials had faced accusations of rape and assault even before the coronavirus pandemic and resulting lockdown and victims like Pamela are gathering their strength to demand action.

“I am not going to withdraw my statement to the police that I was raped,” she said. “All I want is justice.”

*Names have been changed to protect identities.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here