VIDEO: Man Killed By Police During EndSARS Protest Buried In Ogbomosho

Man Killed By Police during EndSARS Protest Buried In Ogbomosho.

Jimoh Isiaq, a young man allegedly killed during a protest in Ogbomosho, Oyo State, has been laid to rest on Saturday.

Isiaq was said to have been killed when some policemen opened fire on protesters demanding the scrapping of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in the state.

Although the police had denied that anyone was killed during the protest on Saturday, videos from the burial have proven otherwise.

The Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Nwachukwu Enwonwu, had denied the killing in a statement signed by the state command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Fadeyi Gbenga.

“The CP wishes to state that the Police allowed the protesters to express their feelings during the protest and they were not hindered in any form until when they started throwing stones into the Police premises and attempted to gain entrance into the premises.”

“The Police, in turn, used tear gas to disperse them from gaining entrance into the Owode Ogbomoso Area Command/Police Station to disperse them and preventing them from gaining entrance and attacking the station.

“The Police did not fire a shot or kill any protester as widely circulated. The CP in his earlier press release had sought for collaborations of parents/guardian, religious and community leaders, leaders of thought, etc to wade in and appeal to these angry youths to exercise patience, give the Police Command some time to properly reform SARS,” the statement had said.


Meanwhile, contrary to the police commissioner’s claim, Isiaq’s murder by the police has been confirmed the Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde.

The governor tweeted on Saturday night, “I have received with deep sadness the news of the passing of one of our children, Jimoh Isiaka, who was shot during the ENDSARS protest in Ogbomoso. He later died at Bowen University Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso, earlier today. Also, at this same protest, Abdulrasaq Olawale, Oluwadamilare Gbolohunmi, and five other persons sustained injuries and were taken to hospital for treatment.

“This situation is highly regrettable. I have contacted the Commissioner of Police, Oyo State, Nwachukwu Enwonwu, and other relevant agencies, and investigations into what led to the unfortunate incident are still ongoing. I pray that God grants the parents of Jimoh Isiaka the fortitude to bear this irreplaceable loss,” he said.

Governor Makinde further noted that the protests against SARS was, “a strong indicator of a systemic failure,” adding that, :It is a failure on the part of those who have been constitutionally empowered to protect the citizens.”

The governor added that, “It again calls into question why State Governors are called Chief Security Officers of their state whereas, they do not have the necessary powers to control the police force.

“I will be paying a personal visit to the family of Jimoh Isiaka and I promise to pursue the investigations to a logical conclusion.

“Peaceful protests are a big part of our democratic process. The right to freedom of speech and assembly are guaranteed by our Constitution, and I will never support any attempt to rob citizens of their fundamental human rights.

“I call on all residents of Oyo State to please remain calm. I also call on the Police to allow residents of Oyo State protest peacefully without fear of being assaulted. Again, I express my deepest sympathies to the family of Jimoh Isiaka, may his soul rest in peace.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here