Edo State Governor Godwin Obaseki has called on landlords in the state to desist from harbouring fleeing inmates of the two correctional facilities in the state or be prepared to face prosecution, if any of the escapees are found in their buildings.
The Governor gave this warning when he received an eleven- man committee comprising different security agencies set up for re-arresting the escapees.
On October 19, 2020, suspected hoodlums invaded the maximum and medium correctional centres on Oko and Sapele roads in Benin city under the guise of the EndSARS protests.
Over one thousand inmates were released by the rampaging hoodlums who hijacked the Endsars protests calling for an end to police brutality and bad governance.
Since that time, the Edo State Government has been making frantic efforts to get the escaped inmates back to the correctional facilities.
Chairman of the Committee on the re-arrest of the escapees, Deputy Controller of Corrections, Usifo Joseph informed Governor Obaseki about the progress made so far.
Governor Obaseki says enough was enough, as the State Government will be going hard on all those who appear to be harbouring the escapees.
He says in addition, residents will be encouraged to come forward with any information that will assist in getting the jail breakers off the streets.
The Governor says Provision will be made for additional vehicles to assist the Committee to accomplish the task in good time.
He says a website will be launched as soon as possible that will contain data of the fleeing inmates for easy identification by members of the public.